I performed a necessary experiment recently. Suffering from a case of writer/blogger burnout, I decided to force myself to go to bed at a decent hour, and get eight hours of sleep. Imagine that!
After days of lacklustre writing and limited blogging ideas, I realized I should have performed this experiment long ago. Comparing an unpublished post written semi-consciously (okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration), to a fresh one after a good night’s sleep, the results were astounding.
Here is my top ten list of reasons writers/bloggers need to get a good night’s sleep:
- More energy/motivation to start and finish your post (or meet your writing goal).
- Fresh ideas as soon as you start reading or working on anything.
- Sharper dialogue in your writing.
- More creative thought process.
- More patience.
- One blog/story idea can lead to another (sometimes immediately after)
- Better organization of thoughts and ideas.
- Better confidence (you won’t feel as inclined to delete the whole thing if it isn’t perfect the first draft)
- More positivity/better outlook on ideas.
- Brainstorm power! You are more likely to find yourself on a role with ideas, or your flow is better.
And a Bonus: sometimes ideas for blogs or books come to you as you’re lying in your bed, well rested, waiting for the alarm to sound.